Hair shedding, however, should not be mistaken for hair loss. It is natural for hair to shed over time; there are hairs that shed and some that grow back. An imbalance occurs when the amount of hair falling out is more than the hair growing back.
It is common for both men and women to suffer from hair loss, but men mostly experience androgenetic alopecia also known as male-pattern baldness.
Common causes of hair loss include genetics, hormonal fluctuations such as pregnancy or menopause, medical ailments such as Alopecia areata; which is an auto-immune disease that causes the body’s immune system to fight against the hair follicles. Some hair styles and applying certain chemicals to the hair can also cause thinning of the hair.
Other causes include poor diet, scalp infections, medications for high blood pressure and high amounts vitamin A intake, including smoking can also be responsible for sudden hair loss.
How to prevent or reduce the occurrence of hair loss
- Avoid hairstyles that put unnecessary strain on your scalp.
- Avoid or minimise the use of certain treatments like hot-oil treatments, certain hair dyes and excessive perming which may not only thin out your hair but also cause burns and scarring. Scarring may lead to permanent hair loss.
- Manage your stress levels as prolonged stress can lead to hair loss
- Improve your diet by eating foods that promote hair growth. Supplements that contain biotin are also effective.
How can a dermatologist help with hair loss?
It is common for patients to see dermatologists when they have issues concerning the skin, such as acne, dermatitis, and other skin disorders. Hair and nail problems can, however, be handled by dermatologists.
Common treatments for hair loss include medications like Rogaine or Finasteride which help in hair thickening. These drugs however come with their own side effects. It’s best to contact a dermatologist before opting for this medication.
There are several remedies for hair loss including:
- Corticosteroid injections and ointments: This involves injecting the scalp with steroids to facilitate hair growth.
- Low-level light therapy: This is a kind of non-invasive laser light remedy that can stimulate hair growth with the use of a laser device.
- Kera factor serum: This product contains seven active bio-identical growth factors and proteins. They work together to promote faster and more powerful absorption.
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy: A plasma treatment can help restore damaged hair follicles through stem cells and other healing properties. Similar to laser therapy, PRP therapy requires multiple sessions over several months.
Book a consultation at our clinic to see which treatment is the most suitable for you. We have different type of treatments for hair loss depending the severity of it and the desired result. The consultation is free and is imperative for the right selection of the client to match with a personalized treatment. This procedure allows us to guarantee the results that await you after treatment.